Less is more:
Superlight XXL rims from AC Schnitzer - Type V Lightweight Forged Wheels
Rim designers have so far faced a dilemma. They always had to meet two conflicting requirements in their product developments: On the one hand, the rim diameters and wheel widths are to become ever larger, but on the other hand, the designers are also to reduce the rim weight. AC Schnitzer engineers and designers have found a solution for this feat: technically particularly innovative and interesting in design.
Thanks to their particularly innovative production method, the Type V Forged Lightweight Wheels meet both criteria in an optimum manner.
Due to their special design, they open up completely new design possibilities: numerous variants can be realized by combining a partially polished or lacquered surface.
What is your personal benefit?
- high quality lightweight forged wheels save approx. 25-35% weight, compared with conventional casted wheels
- elegantly spun star-shaped centres
- slender design of the wheels thanks to high strength material
- perceptible reduction in unsprung mass and gyroscopic forces on the car, therefore
- significantly improved driving dynamics
- significantly improved acceleration and deceleration due to lower masses
- improved cornering handling
- machined original AC Schnitzer logo
- machined Forged logo on the front
- high quality clear lacquer protects the wheel against corrosion, therefore
- open design in Anthracite, giving a clear view to the brakes
About 97 percent of the melt consists of aluminium, but the remaining three percent of the wrought alloy also helps to influence the desired properties of the material for the ideal wheel. In addition to the main component aluminium, the alloy also contains one percent magnesium and one percent titanium each (which ensures finer grain size). The precise composition of the material alloy has a decisive influence on the subsequent properties of the wheel.
Approximately 97 percent of the alloy consists of pure aluminium. The remaining three percent of the wrought alloy is important for the properties of the material.
The AlCr20 master alloy with the hard metal chromium improves recrystallisation resistance. Master alloy means a mixture of aluminium with other materials, in this case it is a maximum of 0.25% by weight of chromium, i.e. a very small amount.
Together with pure silicium, magnesium leads to a higher strength of the total alloy. The maximum proportion of these materials is 1.2 and 1.3 percent by weight, respectively.
These glossy ingots are the master alloy AlTi5B1, which serves a finer grain structure of the total alloy. The proportion of the expensive raw material titanium is only 0.1 percent by weight.
These irregularly shaped lumps are only added to the alloy together with magnesium. This increases the strength. The silicium content is between 0.7 and 1.3 percent by weight.
The addition of 0.4 to 1.0 % manganese makes the alloy tougher. Manganese has a positive effect on recrystallisation behaviour.
Forging - an elaborate process that must offer maximum safety. In many steps the wheel is prepared for its important task for a long car life. The process control guarantees excellent material properties, which are the reason for the low weight of our forged wheels. Even in critical driving situations, forged wheels offer the occupants optimum safety.
Step 1: The nozzle
A cast block more than 6 m long manufactured by OTTO FUCHS is the starting material from which a socket, which is precisely matched to the later wheel, is sawn off.
Step 2: Pre-forging
In the first forging stage, the nozzle is pre-forged into a rotationally symmetrical blank with a force of 4,000 tons.
Step 3: Design forging
In the second forming stage, the styling is pressed into the pre-forged blank under a 7,000 ton press, which gives the wheel its later appearance to a large extent.
Step 4: Punching
In the last forging stage with 800 tons of pressing force, the later ventilation hole windows and the hub bore are punched out and the burr of excess material sheared off at the outer circumference.
Step 5: Flow pressing
The outer edge of the blank is heated. The entire rim area, from outer to inner horn, is rolled out.
Step 6: Finishing
The final step is finishing: turning, drilling and deburring. Painting rounds off the complex process.
Source: Material and Production: Otto Fuchs KG
In this process, the wheel is first primed, then completely painted. A two-layer clear coat is then applied, consisting of a polyester primer and the matt acrylic clear coat.
Test Procedures / Safety
After their design, the first sample rims are manufactured under real production conditions. These must undergo a multitude of tests. Among other things, the strength is tested. The "rim life" is simulated in the bending circumferential test. Every AC Schnitzer rim must withstand this intact in order to be allowed to be produced and sold at all.
This is followed by vehicle-specific tests, including test installations with check of unobstructed movement and driving tests on public roads and on race tracks. Only after these procedures our rims receive their homologation, i.e. the approval to be used in road traffic.
Wheels are safety-relevant components. Therefore, they are checked and tested with the greatest care. This starts with the first chemical material tests and ends with hard testing machine endurance runs:
- § 30 StVZO wheel guideline
- ECE R124
- Bending-rotation tests
- 90° impact test
- unwinding tests
Scope of delivery:
- rim Type V Forged Anthracite
- Specific hub cover
- Quality tag
- homologation certificate
- Optional vehicle- and rim-specific mounting and fastening material
- Certificate of Authenticity
- 2 years manufacturer's warranty
Uniqueness of the lightweight forged rims Type V:
- Made in Germany
- Developed exclusively for BMW vehicles
- With exclusive AC Schnitzer and forged lettering
- Compatible with standard RDC system
- also available as a complete wheel
- Warranty 2 years
- Production monitored according to ISO standard
- BiColor Silver/Anthracite optionally also in Anthracite
- KDS mount for wheel alignment according to BMW specification is available
- Spacers/mounting package for the best possible position in the wheel arch (to be ordered separately)
- Assembly package vehicle specific