We have (not) reinvented the wheel: The AC Schnitzer Type IV wheel generation
The sporting, elegant 5-spoke rims have been worked with fine filigree. The individual spokes which run in a star pattern out from the wheel centre in pentagon form appear slender and graceful. At the rim bed, a triangular dish is let into each spoke, creating firstly a reminiscence of its predecessor Type III and secondly an optical highlight. Designers have finished on chromed design elements which can be inset optionally in the dishes and give the Type IV wheels a totally different appearance.
The surface composition of the Type IV wheel is striking not just in its brilliant lacquer which gives the rim optimum protection against environmental influences. In addition the Type IV wheels are very easy to clean. Even stubborn dirt and brake dust have no chance under regular care. Theres no need for special wheel cleaners.
- alloy wheel in elegant yet sporting design
- weight-optimised cast alloy rims
- in BiColor
- open design which gives a clear view to the brakes
- hubcap in classic, pentagonal shape
- integrated original AC Schnitzer logo
- the wheel is corrosion-protected with a high quality clear lacquer,
- guaranteeing a long life
Only high-quality aluminium alloys with the AlSi7 or AlSi11 specification are used.
Both types of material are additionally heat-treated in the production process, which results in higher strength and simultaneous weight reduction.
Material samples during the production process guarantee the constant and high quality of the material.
Steps on the way to perfection
A high-quality cast blank is the prerequisite for a perfect and durable wheel. AC Schnitzer uses the low-pressure casting process for its manufacture. The aluminium alloy is pressed into a multi-part casting mould at a pressure of up to 1.2 bar. After cooling to approx. 400 degrees Celsius, the mould is opened and the cast blank is ready for further processing.
This takes place during machining and a complex painting process.
X-ray inspections, leak tests and the use of various measuring methods throughout the entire manufacturing process guarantee the consistent and high quality of the wheel.
In this process, the wheel is first primed and then completely painted. Now the surfaces, which are later to shine metallically bright, are turned off. Finally, a two-layer clear coat is applied, consisting of a polyester primer and the acrylic clear coat.
Test Procedures / Safety
After their design, the first sample rims are manufactured under real production conditions. These must undergo a multitude of tests. Among other things, the strength is tested. The "rim life" is simulated in the bending circumferential test. Every AC Schnitzer rim must withstand this intact in order to be allowed to be produced and sold at all.
This is followed by vehicle-specific tests, including test installations with check of unobstructed movement and driving tests on public roads and on race tracks. Only after these procedures our rims receive their homologation, i.e. the approval to be used in road traffic.
Wheels are safety-relevant components. Therefore, they are checked and tested with the greatest care. This starts with the first chemical material tests and ends with hard testing machine endurance runs:
- § 30 StVZO wheel guideline
- ECE R124
- Bending-rotation tests
- 90° impact test
- unwinding tests
Scope of delivery
- Rim Type IV casted, monoblock wheel in BiColor
- Specific hub cover
- Quality tag
- homologation certificate
- Optional vehicle- and rim-specific mounting and fastening material
- Certificate of Authenticity
Uniqueness of the Type IV Light Alloy Wheels
- Engineered in Germany
- heat treated
- Developed exclusively for BMW vehicles
- With exclusive AC Schnitzer lettering
- Compatible with standard RDC system
- also available as a complete wheel
- Warranty 2 years
- Production monitored according to ISO standard
- Available in BiColor Silver/Black or in Silver
- KDS mount for wheel alignment according to BMW specification is available
- Spacers/mounting package for the best possible position in the wheel arch (to be ordered separately)
- Assembly package vehicle specific